Production Manager (job ref GB1217), Cwmbran
Accountable to the COO / Head of Operations, the Production Manager plans, controls and supervises production processes at our Cwmbran site.
Strong leadership and the ability to engage & develop others in fostering a passion for customer service and product quality excellence is paramount.
Responsible for planning daily production to meet customer & stock holding commitments whilst achieving maximum productivity in our manufacturing operations.
Ensuring product conformance and compliance, developing and maintaining all production processes & procedures (in cooperation with production engineering) whilst promoting manufacturing best practice & deploying lean processes is vital.
Ownership & accountability for a team of production operatives with responsibility for their training, development, multi-skilling and all aspects of their day to day performance.
Reporting to: Chief Operating Officer / Head of Operations
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• Quality: Develop our production capabilities to achieve optimal manufacture with product quality excellence at its core. To deliver real savings, yield improvements and right fist time manufacturing activities
• Productivity: Ensure all production employees are working to their maximum capacity & capability, utilising & developing skill sets and keeping any down time to an absolute minimum. Identify continuous improvement opportunities in the company’s manufacturing processes
• Reporting: To undertake reporting, such as the provision of daily, weekly & monthly performance KPI’s and act on trends through analysis. Actively support & cooperate with peers in the Operational management team and support the COO / Head of Operations with timely and appropriate escalation & communication.
• To lead manufacturing audits, to perform and record internal audits checks, to implement improvement activities where required and assist the Quality department on appropriate external audit requirements.
• To undertake Capacity analysis and forward planning assessments to ensure adequate resources are and will be available to meet a diversifying product portfolio, customer requirements and target stocking levels.
• To drive lean manufacturing principles that maximise productivity, improve right first time pass rates and minimise all forms of waste
• To oversee all Production staff, including day-to-day management (eg annual leave approvals and performance management issues) as well as Personal Appraisals and mentoring. To manage the training matrices and ensure all production staff are skilled to perform their roles and cross-trained to maximise flexibility.
• To lead, drive, enthuse and inspire the production team to meet customer service & total performance excellence by setting the right
• Minimum of 10 years direct supervisory management experience within a manufacturing environment; servicing an industry that demands exacting quality standards
• Ability to make effective decisions under pressure and work cooperatively within and across teams
• Experience of implementing a lean manufacturing & Visual Factory approach to all areas of production
• Strong & demonstrable interpersonal and leadership traits. The ability to effectively engage, motivate and develop staff to excellence in performance
• Strong planning skills & the ability to respond quickly to changes in priorities, demands and requirements
• Experience of low - medium volume, repetitive production processes in a mechanical and electronics assembly and test environment (including an understanding of appropriate IPC standards)
• Requires limited supervision and can be relied upon to deliver to expected standards and timescales
• Good Sage 200 ERP experience. MRP knowledge
• Proven negotiation and report-writing skills
• Cross functional relationship management with internal and external organisations (incl. Engineering, Materials Control, Finance, Internal sales & subcontract manufacturers)
• Use of MS Excel, Word and Outlook to competent level
• Educated to Degree level, A management qualification (such as Diploma in Management Studies) preferable.
• Experience in Lean Manufacturing.
• Strong verbal and numerical ability
• Internal (And preferably external) auditing experience within a controlled and regulated environment
• Good understanding and promotion of health and safety requirements and continuous improvement culture
• Communication and negotiation : to be able to communicate clearly with a range of stakeholders with confidence and credibility via face-to-face as well as via competent report writing
• Relationship building : to develop strong collaborative relations with staff and third parties
• Team working: to be able to support other team members in achieving the company’s goals
• Team & People Leading: to inspire and manage staff to achieve individual and group goals
• Time management: to be able to effectively prioritise to achieve goals
• Thoroughness: to ensure own and others' work and information are complete and accurate; following up with others to ensure that agreements and commitments have been fulfilled
• Analytical thinking: to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach
Location: based in Cwmbran, with travel to Norfolk, Miami & 3rd party facilities when required
Please only email your CV to email@example.com. Please quote job reference GB1217. Closing date is 05th January 2018.
Due to the large volume of applications we receive, unfortunately we are unable to respond by email or telephone to candidates on the progress of their application. If you do not hear from us within 2 weeks of the closing date, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.