Senior Electronic Engineer, Cwmbran
Accountable to the Head of Engineering, the Senior Electronic Design Engineer will provide technical leadership to the Electronic Design team, developing Aircraft lighting systems to relevant Aerospace standards, identifying problems, resolving issues and defining or delegating the development of design solutions to resolve system/ stakeholder requirements and implement those solutions in Electronic & Electrical Design and/or Software Development.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
New Product Development
• Develops Complex Electronic designs and or software solutions in compliance with defined requirements and system architectures and resolves architectural or implementation problems as they arise.
• Develops Requirements and Architectural solutions to Customer Needs, Regulatory Requirements and STG Aerospace strategies in order to support New Product system designs.
• Develops all required supporting documentation during the development of the solution in accordance with defined Engineering procedures.
• Supports the project planning and definition of work packages in order to ensure that the project objectives are delivered on Time, On Cost and on Quality.
• Supports all relevant Integration and Qualification Activities in ensuring the assigned design element works as part of the broader electronic system.
• Contributes to component selection and definition in the STG Aerospace development tools.
• May be required on occasion to act in the Role of a Chief Engineer or System Architect ( Defined as separate Roles) on a given project.
• Leads the more Junior Electronic Engineers in the team to ensure that all work is delivered in accordance with allocated workpackages to the required cost and time targets and the defined quality standards.
• Acts as a Mentor to less experienced Electronic Engineers in developing their experience and skills in relevant subject areas.
• Follows Design & Development Processes and Procedures and completes all relevant checklists during the development of product solutions.
• Identifies and leads opportunities for the improvement of the engineering function as well as the wider business including the development of new procedures and artefacts when required.
• Follows configuration management processes and identifies solutions where product or process falls short of such requirements.
• Degree qualified in Electrical, Electronic or Software Development or equivalent experience.
• Extensive experience of operating in a New Product development engineering environment, with responsibilities for delivery of design solutions to schedule and quality against defined requirements.
• Extensive experience of using Schematic Capture and Simulation Design tools.
• Strong ability in analogue and digital electronic design, particularly SMPSU. LED lighting and embedded microcontrollers.
• Strong ability in the control and prevention of conducted and radiated EMI.
• An understanding of the complete Engineering Development Lifecycle from Requirements definition to Volume manufacturing.
• An understanding of Health & Safety compliance.
• English GCSE or equivalent (min Grade C)
• Intermediate level user of MS Excel, Word and Outlook.
• Strong numerical and verbal ability.
• Experience of design for the cabin interior aerospace environment and regulated environments, particularly LED lighting.
• Operational understanding of the Altium Design Environment.
• Knowledge of AS9100 compliance and operating environment.
• Strong understanding of Design for Manufacture (DfM) and Design for Test (DfT) techniques.
• Flexibility in dealing with changing priorities.
Communication: to be able to liaise and influence direction with a range of third parties including customers and suppliers with confidence and communicate clearly and with confidence to internal team members and other functional stakeholders.
Relationship building: to develop strong collaborative relations with staff and third parties.
Team working: to be able to support other team members, delegate tasks where appropriate and take instruction in achieving the company’s goals.
Time management: to be able to effectively prioritise and delegate to achieve goals.
Thoroughness: to ensure own and others' work and information are complete and accurate; following up with others to ensure that commitments have been fulfilled.
Analytical thinking: to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.