Bright ideas. Brilliant Solutions.
STG Aerospace is trusted by the Aerospace industry for emergency exit marking and cabin lighting solutions. Established in 1995, we have a strong heritage in the design, manufacture and certification of system solutions. Our lighting solutions are line-fit for most aircraft manufacturers (including Airbus, Boeing & Embraer) and are operating on over 12,000 aircraft with some 300 airlines worldwide.
Globally we are a growing SME, with our head office in Cwmbran, South Wales and an additional manufacturing facility in Miami, Florida.
As a specialist aerospace manufacturer, we push the limits of design and problem solving, through international collaboration, trusted technical experience and a shared sense of purpose. At STG Aerospace YOU are how we excel. That’s The STG Way.
Mechanical Design Engineer
We are seeking a Mechanical Design Engineer to design and develop state of the art lighting solutions. The role encompasses New Product Development and Sustaining Engineering:
New Product Development:
- Develop Mechanical components and assemblies in compliance with specified requirements and Engineering best practices
- Generates and updates 3D models and 2D drawings following relevant standards
- Generates the required engineering documentation during design & development stages
- Produces and tests mechanical prototypes to determine technical feasibility
- Contributes to component/material selection, coordinates mechanical component sourcing with Supply Chain
- Contributes to Design sessions to generate new design ideas and techniques
- Interacts with Production Engineering, Supply Chain, and Electronics teams to help optimise design decisions
- Follows Design & Development Processes and Procedures
- Identifies and supports opportunities for the improvement of the engineering function
- University Degree qualified in Mechanical/Product Design/Manufacturing Engineering or equivalent
- An eye for detail and a methodical work process
- Initial experience of operating in a New Product development engineering environment
- Experience in using a parametric 3D modelling software
- Basic understanding of manufacturing technologies including part finishing, e.g. injection moulding, extrusion, machining and additive manufacturing
- Understanding of engineering part specification, including drawing requirements, dimensional tolerancing, and process control
- Understanding aspects of mechanical testing, e.g. environmental, stress, vibration, water ingress
- An understanding of the complete Engineering Development Lifecycle from Requirements definition to Volume manufacturing
- Good working knowledge of MS Office tools
- Strong numerical and technical capabilities
- Working experience using SolidWorks 3D modelling software
- Knowledge of compliance to ISO9001 or other regulated industry standard (e.g. AS9100)
- Basic understanding of Design for Manufacture (DfM) and Design for Assembly (DfA) techniques
- Communication: to be able to communicate clearly and with confidence in the English language to internal team members and other functional stakeholders
- Relationship building: to develop strong collaborative relations with staff and third parties
- Team working: to be able to support other team members and take instructions in order to achieve company goals
- Time management: to be able to effectively prioritise to achieve goals
- Thoroughness: to ensure own work and information are complete and accurate; following up with others to ensure that commitments have been fulfilled
- Analytical thinking: to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach
- Creativity and curiosity: Ability to get inspiration from other sectors and think imaginatively to solve design problems
What do we offer?
- Competitive salary
- Performance related bonus
- 25 days holiday + UK Bank Holidays
- Working Hours (unless specified) are 37.5 hours per week and Fridays 1pm close
- Pension Scheme
- Group Life Cover
- Employee Assistance Programme
Be part of a fast paced, multi-disciplinary team focussed on developing quality products with an innovative edge. Please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com. Closing date is 30th September 2021: please quote job reference MDE-S.
Everything we do, we do with our people in mind. We raise funds for our charity partner Orbis, have wellbeing champions across the business and recognition awards to celebrate those that live our values, The STG Way. We are STG Aerospace. Join us!
We are always interested in hearing from world class talent to join us in us in the next stage of our growth. If you have a real passion for the passenger experience and want to be part of a global success story in aviation we’re ready to light the way for your success!
Send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to the large number of applications we receive, unfortunately we are unable to respond by email or telephone to candidates on the progress of their application. If you do not hear from us within 2 weeks of submitting your CV, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.